Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Anyone to try it...

It seems like many people are interested in this ongoing story- many people with and without diabetes. However, when I meet people and they question me about my situation and what I do to keep myself from taking insulin, I am often met with responses such as "I could never do that" or "I love bread, I couldn't stop eating it" or "I don't have enough self control."

Despite the fact that many are interested in what has occurred and certainly can't deny the reality of the situation once they meet me, I have never had anyone tell me they want to try it. I have no doubt that many of these methods would work for a lot of people. Folks remain doubtful, even resentful of the fact that they probably would work, or, they are so attached to the idea that their pancreas has been completely destroyed and will never come back. Remember when the common knowledge was that after a certain age the brain stopped growing? Well, neuroplasticity has been a proven phenomenon all the way from birth to death. The entrenchment of the unchangeable nature of our condition of Type 1 Diabetes is keeping everyone I meet from even entertaining the fact of trying something.

I remain confident that a host of different things would probably work for many people. But at the same time, if they don't, it doesn't matter. The only truly upsetting part about it is that I have yet met anyone who will really try something else full force and see if it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment