Saturday, August 3, 2013

A typical daily menu for a "vegetarian paleo diabetic"

When I am at school, I often times find myself eating foods just to power myself without getting too creative. Here, I will post a menu of what I might eat on a day where I am just eating to keep powered, and what I have made on a day where I get the creative juices flowing!

A Typical "just eat for power" day:
* note, when I say handful of mixed nuts I mean a goodly sized handful
            when I say assorted veggies and hummus, I mean a goodly sized portion of veggies!

Breakfast: 
Two eggs sunny side up with asparagus and peppers cut and mixed in. Cheese perhaps added on top.
Glass of unsweetened almond milk
A few bites of chia seed pudding

2.5 hours after breakfast:
Handful of raw mixed nuts and some veggies and mixed nuts

Lunch:
More mixed nuts, assorted cut up veggies and hummus with raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds mixed in
Nice big salad with alll the fixings (could if you wanted add tune/ chicken or something like that)

or

a whole avocado cut up with lemon, pepper and olive oil

3 hours after lunch:
Celery and peanut butter
Handful of nuts/ seeds

Dinner:
Vegetable "mash up"- yellow squash, zuchini, eggplant and shitake mushrooms stir fried with lost of olive oil
Unsweetened almond milk

or
bake a piece of fish/ chicken serve with lots and lots of lightly steamed vegetables with olive oil


2.5 hours after dinner/ bedtime snack
Celery and peanut butter (is my favorite snack ever)
or
a few slices of cheese and some olives
or
a handful of veggies and hummus
or
a spoonful or two of peanut butter


A "I'm feeling creative" day

Breakfast:
Regular or egg white omelet with avocado, tomato and brie or cheddar cheese

or

home made paleo breakfast loaf with peanut butter on top and unsweetened almond milk:
click here to view

2.5 hours after breakfast
chilled steamed broccoli with sliced almonds and olive oil
handful of nuts
flax seed crackers/ kale chips

or
whole avocado with lemon, pepper and olive oil

Lunch:
Kale salad with red cabbage, asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and balsamic vinaigrette

2.5 hours after lunch:
seaweed salad or side salad with some peacans

Dinner:
My favorite brussel sprout recipie: click here to view
Cauliflower "mashed potatoes" (there are some great recipes on google)
side dish of steamed kale or chard or a nice side salad of arugula, goat cheese, cucumbers, etc.

Paleo pizza: Click here for recipie

Dessert:
mixed berries (low GI)


Typically, I don't eat meat. You might call it a "vegetarian paleo diet." This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how I address the diabetes, but more of a personal choice. Because I don't eat meat, I end up eating a little bit more cheese. You might have good luck using meat in your diet to increase options.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, it is helpful to see a vegetarian low carb meal plan. Clearly you have to eat lots of nuts/eggs to maintain protein! Greek yogurt works, too, but I don't know that I can stomach the unflavored type. I like that nuts transport easily and don't require refrigeration. I imagine being being more careful on a low carb diet to maintain protein and fat intake so I do not feel hungry or lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do have to be careful to make sure I get enough protein while not eating meat. I did a food log for 3 days to track exactly what I was eating then looked up what my requirements should be for my heigh/ weight and it seemed to be on track. It takes those nuts and eggs though!

      The unsweetened greek yogurt becomes a tad bit more palatable with some 100% coco baking chocolate broken up in it (which also adds more fat and fiber). The greek yogurt isn't my favorite, but it is definitely a high protein and high fat option if you're looking for one!

      Delete